Thursday, May 10, 2012

Inspiring story behind the poem "The Road Not Taken"

 Hi everybody,

Now, let's talk about  Research Paper. After 2nd  face to face, i got the whole idea of how to carry out the research paper.Thank to our beloved Cik Dzeelfa for her brief explanation on that. While doing the research i studied one poem by Robert Frost " The Road Not Taken".   It's inspiring poem no doubt it has been prescribed for form 4 students. This is what i can conclude , no matter what journey we found ourselves on, we determine how the journey ends.  As teacher who teaches the poem we need to stress this point out to our students.  As for me, I have read this poem before but i have not really felt this way.  There is something i found behind the poem which is, i actually have the same thought as Frost's wife when she decided to resign form her work. She expressed her feeling as below:
" After much thought and several discussions with my husband I chose not to work and stay at home with my children.   Considering my chaotic childhood and the absence of my parents growing up made me want to be everything for my children.   I wanted to be home when they came home from school, help them with their homework, know who they are hanging out with, make sure they’re doing the right things and most importantly be there when they needed me.   Since I’ve been a stay at home mom I’ve had many conversations with my children about morals and values, given them advice on how to handle situations with friends and bullies, laughed and cried, made crafts and cookies, played games, read books, snuggled on the couch on rainy days; there is not a salary in this world that is worth those memories.
We all choose a path that determines our future.   Sometimes the path we choose does not always have the outcome that we hope for but that is a gamble we take in life.   Robert Frost’s poem is about life changing decisions that are made in a blink of an eye and have a tremendous impact on our future.   I really enjoyed the poem because it is something that everyone can relate to.   No matter who we are, no matter where we go, our future is determined the moment we walk down that path" -  Elinor Mirrian (Robert Frost's wife)



All the above mentioned by Frost's wife was what i have thought when i decided to resign from my work few months ago (as i told in my introduction post). The difference is just "the absence of my father growing up made me want to be everything for my children".  I agree with Elinor because choosing one thing we have automatically chosen to sacrifice its opposite.  That is life, everything is not ours.

"Our experience of the world is being impoverished to the extent that it is being rendered artificial and prepackaged." - David W. Orr


1 comment:

  1. This is the personal development part of the 3 models promoted by Carter and Long (1991). If readers/students are able to relate to the poem with teacher's help then that's success in developing literary awareness.

    ReplyDelete